Semester 2: The Future of Faith Formation
We have learned that the future of faith formation requires adaptive leadership. It also requires the attention and engagement of the congregation as a whole. Culture shift, embracing new norms, and bold experimentation is too much for any single person to establish alone. Unitarian Universalists have done this work before. Those who came before us saw the need to attend to the religious education of children in ways they had never seen before. Unitarian Universalists can do this work again.
Prerequisite: The Death of Sunday School
By the end of this course you will have:
- an understanding of lifelong faith formation
- experienced an intentional learning community of congregations facing the same adaptive challenge
- co-created monthly discussion questions to bring back to your congregation
- practiced communicating with the congregation as a whole
- engaged in case studies
- The tools needed to develop a plan for the future of faith formation in your congregation
$300 Premium Registration includes:
- Access to course materials for anyone in your congregation. (They will need to set up a participant account.)
- Six live webinars open to up to 5 members of your congregation. (A recording will be made available for the rest of your congregation to watch on their own or in small groups)
- Each webinar will be followed by discussion questions and communication tools (initially provided and then co-created) for use within congregations and staff teams.
- ½ hour of personal coaching per congregational team
- Access to an online discussion page for questions, resources, brainstorming and engagement with the instructor and other participants
Kim Sweeney is a credentialed Religious Educator and independent consultant who worked for seven years as the Lead for Faith Formation and Safe Congregations on the UUA’s New England Regional staff team. Kim is the author of The Death of Sunday School & The Future of Faith Formation. She is a sought after presenter and workshop leader and has led programs in every region of our UUA.
Module 1: The Answer to How is YES! ( saying yes without knowing the answer)
Monday, January 22, 7:00-8:30 PM EST
Module 2: Children as Spiritual Beings
Monday, February 5, 7:00-8:30 PM EST
Module 3: Faith Formation for Adults
Monday, February 19, 7:00-8:30 PM EST
Module 4: Moving From a Time for All Ages to Worship for All Ages
Monday, March 5, 7:00-8:30 PM EST
Module 5: Whole Congregation Faith Formation
Monday, March 19, 7:00-8:30 PM EST
Module 6: Collaborative Shared Ministry
Monday, April 2, 7:00-8:30 PM EST
Registration for this course will open in early December.