Do you want to take your knowledge and skills to the next level in terms of trans identity and creating congregations that are fully inclusive and affirming of the full breadth of gender diversity? Regardless of where you and/or your congregation are on your journey, this course is for you. Join Rev. Mykal Slack and Zr. Alex Kapitan in deeply exploring the intersection of trans identity and UU faith and community, and gain the grounding, context, and skills to transform ourselves and our congregations.
This course is for everyone: from novices to trans identity to those with decades of life experience. Rather than offering a “trans 101,” this class will push all participants to the next level of congregational welcome, relationship-building, and skills-building. Congregational teams are particularly encouraged to participate.
The course will:
- ground participants in faith and the idea of “welcome” as a spiritual practice
- explore our history and personal experience around gender-based oppression in faith communities and elsewhere in our lives
- unpack the gender binary and introduce an expansive model for understanding gender
- discuss the experiences of trans people, as well as trans spirituality
- address the root causes of trans exclusion in congregations
- give participants the tools and next steps they need to create trans-affirming culture shift in their own congregation or other faith group
Registering for this course gets you:
- Six video lectures/workshops that you, your family, or a group from your congregation can watch on your own (a lecture and supporting materials is released every two weeks)
- Study materials, reflection questions, and exercises to support your learning
- Two live online group discussions facilitated by the course instructors (to be scheduled)
- Access to an online discussion page where you can ask questions and engage with the instructors and other participants
About the instructors:
Zr. Alex Kapitan is a queer and genderqueer lifelong Unitarian Universalist and worked for more than eight years at the UUA’s national office supporting the Welcoming Congregation Program, anti-oppression programming, and social justice organizing. Alex has led workshops and trainings on trans inclusion for congregations, district/regional assemblies, and at UUMA Ministry Days and General Assembly. Alex is on the steering committee of TRUUsT (Transgender Religious Professional UUs Together).
Rev. Mykal Slack is a queer and trans minister who has recently served as Director of Congregational Life for the UU Fellowship of Raleigh, NC; Community Life Coordinator and Worship Leader at First Parish Cambridge, MA; and Director of Worship for the Sanctuary Boston. He recently left congregational ministry for a position as Co-Director of the Freedom Center for Social Justice in Charlotte, NC. Mykal has worked with many UU congregations who want to increase their inclusion of trans people, from guest preaching to leadership trainings to multi-part workshop series.
Sorry, registration for this course is now closed.
Course fee: $30Important! Before you purchase this class – please either log into your account, or create a new account. If you do not, the system will create a new account for you and you will not be able to choose your user name.