How do I register and sign up for courses?
- Everyone should create a participant account. (There is no fee to do this.)
- When you are logged in to your participant account, click on the course(s) you wish to get to the course page. Simply click on the “take this course” button on each course page. The website will take you to a a payment processing page where you can choose to pay for the courses in your cart via paypal or pay with a check. You do not need a paypal account to use their system to pay with a credit card. To pay with a check see number 4 below for detailed instructions.
- Recruit others from you congregation to take the course(s) (or related courses) with you and schedule some in-person time to engage with the discussion questions and other activities. (It’s even better to find a neighboring congregation or two and invite them as well!)
- There is a “pay by check” option in the shopping cart. Please print the confirmation email and send it with your check so we can identify your account. If your congregation is paying for your entire team, please have each team member register for the site and enroll in the class. Then please mail a check with a list of names and email addresses of each person who you are paying for. Including the order number for each person is even more helpful! Do note that you will not have access to the class materials until we receive your check and credit it to your account.
Make your check out to UUA-CER and send to:
UU Leadership Institute
c/o Central East Region of the UUA
100 W 10th Street, Suite 1008
Wilmington, DE 19801
When can I start?
Each course is available on-demand. (We used to offer courses on a semester basis, but we wanted to offer more flexibility.)
Can we take these courses as a congregational team?
We hope you do! The 4 core leadership courses (Centered Leadership Part 1, Centered Leadership Part 2, Strategic Leadership and Adaptive Leadership) are designed for congregational leaders at different levels to take the courses as a group. Folks view the materials on their own, then meet with others in their congregation/cluster to engage with the materials together. There are discussion questions for each section, plus we offer in-person activities for a workshop that you can use in your small groups. (This is what we mean by “Flipped Classroom.”)
Do you offer group discounts?
Our low-cost courses are supported by your Annual Program Fund gifts to the UUA. We are unable to offer group discounts, however we do offer need-based scholarships.
I enrolled in a course, but can’t participate. May I get a refund?
Unfortunately, due to the administrative costs, we cannot issue refunds.
I’m not very good with technology. What do I need?
- You will need to be able to open pdf documents (using the free Adobe Acrobat reader or similar software).
- You will need to be able to view YouTube videos
- If you are using a PC, it’s best to use Internet Explorer or Firefox as your web browser. The quizzes don’t seem to work with Google Chrome. For Macs, Safari seems to work best, but Firefox also works well.
- You will need either a telephone with long-distance service OR a computer with a reliable high-speed internet connection, an audio headset and preferably (but not necessarily) with a built-in or attached video camera
- If you run into issues, you might need to clear your cache in your browser. Here are instructions for how to do that: for Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome.
What do you mean by “flipped classroom?”
We make the materials available online and on-demand. Then you meet in person (locally) for the activities/discussion. This “Flipped Classroom” balances course content with the creativity of the participants — it’s the interplay of your ideas and experiences that creates the UU Leadership Institute magic!
Can you give me a list of everything that is involved?
- To agree to the participant covenant
- To be a part of a congregational team (optional, but highly recommended) and/or to comment on discussion questions.
- A computer with a reliable Internet connection (able to play YouTube® videos), preferably (but not necessarily) with a built-in or attached video camera for live sessions
- 2-3 hours per module to devote to coursework
- Successful completion of quizzes or participation on discussion boards.
- Willingness to use technology and learn how if you are not yet familiar with it
Why does UU Leadership Institute suggest having congregations enroll a leadership team?
From decades of experience with week-long residential leadership schools, we found that if only one person attended, they had a hard time doing anything with what they learned back in their home congregation. Congregations that have involve teams of leaders — especially teams that include religious professionals — have been able to have more positive impact on the congregation upon their return. We strongly recommend teams of 4 or more.
Why aren’t all of the courses free? Doesn’t our Annual Program Fund gift to the UUA cover this?
The UU Leadership Institute would not be possible without your gifts! The course fees enable us to invite non-UUA staff (and even non-UUs like Beth Zemsky) and fairly compensate them. We were also able to upgrade our video technology with the course fees.
The $30 courses are monitored by UUA staff. The $15 courses are popular non-monitored courses. The free courses tend to be our older courses that we are keeping available.