Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register and sign up for courses?
1. Everyone should create a participant account. (There is no fee to do this.)
2. When you are logged in to your participant account, click on the course(s) you wish to get to the course page. Simply click on the “take this course” button on each course page. The website will take you to a a payment processing page where you can choose to pay for the courses in your cart via paypal or pay with a check. You do not need a paypal account to use their system to pay with a credit card. To pay with a check see number 4 below for detailed instructions.
3. Recruit others from you congregation to take the course(s) (or related courses) with you to create your own community of practice. It’s even better to find a neighboring congregation or two and invite them as well!
4. There is a “pay by check” option in the shopping cart. Please print the confirmation email and send it with your check so we can identify your account. If your congregation is paying for your entire team, please have each team member register for the site and enroll in the class. Then please mail a check with a list of names and email addresses of each person who you are paying for. Including the order number for each person is even more helpful!
Make your check out to UUA-CER
UU Leadership Institute
c/o Central East Region
100 W 10th Street, Suite 1008
Wilmington, DE 19801
Can we take these courses as a congregational team?
We hope you do! The 4 core leadership courses (Centered Leadership Part 1, Centered Leadership Part 2, Strategic Leadership and Adaptive Leadership) are designed for congregational leaders at different levels to take the courses as a group. Folks view the materials on their own, then meet with others in their congregation/cluster to engage with the materials together. There are discussion questions for each section, plus we offer in-person activities for a workshop that you can use in your small groups. (This is what we mean by “Flipped Classroom.”)
Can I take more than one course a semester?
Absolutely! You can register for as many courses as you have time for in any semester . (Remember that the additional course material will take an additional 1-2 hours a week.)
Do you offer group discounts?
Our low-cost courses are supported by your Annual Program Fund gifts to the UUA. We are unable to offer group discounts, however we do offer need-based scholarships.
I enrolled in a course, but can’t participate. May I get a refund?
Unfortunately, we cannot issue refunds. However, we would be happy to give you credit against a future course on the same topic. Fill out a support ticket with the information for the course you didn’t complete, and the course you wish to take with the credit.
The semester has already begun. Can I still register?
Yes! We close registration about halfway through the semester. The materials for each module are available from the module’s start date until the end of the semester. Here are visual overviews of the schedules for each semester:
I’m not very good with technology. What do I need?
- You will need to be able to open pdf documents (using the free Adobe Acrobat reader or similar software).
- You will need to be able to view YouTube videos
- If you are using a PC, it’s best to use Internet Explorer or Firefox as your web browser. The quizzes don’t seem to work with Google Chrome. For Macs, Safari seems to work best, but Firefox also works well.
- You will need either a telephone with long-distance service OR a computer with a reliable high-speed internet connection, an audio headset and preferably (but not necessarily) with a built-in or attached video camera
- If you run into issues, you might need to clear your cache in your browser. Here are instructions for how to do that: for Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome.
Can you give me a list of everything that is involved?
- To agree to the participant covenant
- To be a part of a congregational team (optional, but highly recommended) and/or to comment on discussion questions.
- A computer with a reliable Internet connection (able to play YouTube® videos), preferably (but not necessarily) with a built-in or attached video camera for live sessions
- An audio headset is strongly recommended for best audio connection during live sessions, and is essential when you are using your computer mic and camera.
- 2-3 hours a week to devote to coursework
- Successful completion of quizzes or participation on discussion boards.
- $30 per online scheduled course ($15 per on-demand course)
- Willingness to use technology and learn how if you are not yet familiar with it
- Comfort with the largely peer-learning format that the course will be utilizing
Why does UU Leadership Institute suggest having congregations send a leadership team?
From decades of experience with week-long residential leadership schools, we found that if only one person attended, they had a hard time doing anything with what they learned back in their home congregation. Congregations that have sent teams of leaders — especially teams that include religious professionals — have been able to have more positive impact on the congregation upon their return. We strongly recommend teams of 4 or more.